I thought these tips from Bakery would come in handy...and are good for a little chuckle. I'm sure we've all received these kinds of emails in one way or another.
DO:
- Send me a link to some sort of website, whether it be your portfolio site, etsy shop, or a site that sells your items. If you don’t have a website, send me an email address through which interested readers can contact you. Blogs are online media, so you should include some sort of related contact information for my readers.
- Send me 1-5 low resolution images for use on my site.
- Address the email to ME, and maybe even show me you read/like my site by telling me about a recent post you enjoyed or that I’m on your feed reader.
- Introduce yourself, tell me a little about you and your stuff, and what it is you’re showing me.
- If you’re a PR professional, make me like you, and not just the product/artist/site you’re pushing. Relationships are key in this business.
- Flattery will get you everywhere [well, almost].
DON’T:
- Attach a Word document press release. I won’t read it.
- Attach a Word document press release and also copy and paste the same information from the Word document into the body of the email. This is dumb [sorry, it really is].
- Send me an email with a subject line in ALL CAPS; it has the opposite effect.
- Attach a zip file of images expecting me to download and extract them. Unless I ask for lots of high-res images, this is highly unnecessary. These are typically large files which clog my memory, too, so probably not the best way to my heart.
- Send me an email in a language that I don’t post in on my blog. I speak and read English, so please don’t expect me to understand your Turkish press release. This instantly makes me think you’ve stuck me on a massive mailing list. At least send a translation or a link to your site so I can see more.
- Address the email Dear Blogger, or Dear Jane [my name is Jaime].
- Send the email to 20 different blogs in the TO email field. We can see it and if you BCC us, we know that you did -
- Send me the same email 2 times in a week or 4 times a month. I got your email. If you want to follow up, please do so but do not spam.























Love the tips :) Gosh I was nodding a LOT!
ReplyDeleteI read this on Bakery. I had to laugh because most of the emails I get fall under the DON'Ts which are all things that have driven me batty from day one.
ReplyDelete